donderdag 1 januari 2015

SSPM theory practice examples

This course features class exercises to each meeting to let students experience the theoretical material from lectures and literature. Develop one class exercise to replace one you felt was not entirely suitable. 

I personally do not think that any of the exercises done in classes where not suitable, so I would not be able to think of a replaceable game to something. However, when attending the SSPM classes, I do find some theories very difficult to put into perspective. Maybe this is more difficult for me since I don't have any experience with a policy related course yet, but I am not the only one in Industrial Ecology with no policy background.

For me, some SSPM theory was really difficult to understand. And when I try to understand, I try to find references to this theory from my own experience, for example with jobs that I had or internships in companies where i experienced phenomena that may have something to do with the SSPM theory. Then I ask others that if my understanding of the theory is correct, using an example that I know of from my own experience. Not only can this confirm or dismiss my assumptions, it is also very interesting to see how others interpret the theory.

I noticed that during the classes I often asked the teacher to give an example after the theory he explained. I think that this is not so easy to do on the spot, and so it may be good for students to come up with real life examples that are related to the theory so that we can have a collective understanding of the theory, and make sure that the understanding is correct since the teacher is present to dismiss false assumptions. The examples do not have to be from personal experience but may also be collected from internet for example.

After explaining some difficult theory, it may be possible to form groups of 5 persons, give them 15 minutes to discuss some examples and then discuss these in class. It can be a good way to achieve a correct and common understanding of a certain theory.

Next to the games, I think this is a good way to experience some of the SSPM theories. The games are very good to understand the dynamics of certain theories and because in some way the class recreates the theory. On the other hand each student may interpret the game results differently and therefore using more real life examples may be good to get all the students on the right understanding of the theory.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten